(Hint: click the "play" button after it loads)
This loop starts from the same trailhead as Turkey Springs and Monument Park Roads. It offers a 9.5 mile "lollipop" loop, with a 1.2 mile climb at the beginning, a 7.1 mile loop, and a 1.2 mile descent back to your vehicle. All in, there is 1294 feet of ascent on this loop, but most is gradual except for the first mile.
- The Turkey Springs/Monument Park Trailhead is by the cattle guard where the asphalt ends and Piedra Road (CR 600)enters the San Juan National Forest. This is about 6.25 miles from the intersection of Piedra Road and Hwy 160.
- Follow the groomed trail south of Piedra Road and go up the hill for 1.2 miles where you will cross Newt Jack Road (USFS 923). If you look to your left (south) you will know if the loop has been groomed, because that is your return route. (If this loop has not been recently groomed, you can still follow the "Turkey Springs and Monument Park Roads" option.)
- Cross Newt Jack Road and follow the blue, USFS cross country ski signs. This basically involved staying left all the way to its intersection with Turkey Springs Road (USFS 629). (When you arrive at a gate in a barbed wire fence, take a hard left.)
- Turn left on Turkey Springs Road for about a mile, then another left on Brockover Road (USFS 919). After a short distance, the groomed trail turns left, and intersects with Newt Jack Road after about a mile.
- Follow Newt Jack Road back to where you crossed it in #2 above.
The above may sound complicated, but remember you are just following a groomed trail.
You should be able to zoom in and out and navigate within the above Google map to find directions.
A TOPO! PDF map is attached below, providing more detail and making it easy to print out a copy to take with you.