This is a nice early spring or late fall ride. It starts at 6300 feet, and peaks out at 7300 feet. It's in a warmer and drier part of Archuleta County so does not get as much snow -- it is ridable both earlier in the spring and later in the fall than other, higher rides.
There is 1700 feet of total ascent, and almost all of that is on a quiet, solid gravel road. The downhill is on an ATV double track.
The loop described here is approximately 20 miles in length. You can shorten the ride by parking closer to the loop end of the lollipop route.
View attached PDF TOPO! map below.Route Details:
- To get to the trail head drive west of Pagosa Springs on Hwy 160, turn left on Hwy 151.
- Drive 11.24 miles and turn right onto Fosset Gulch Road (see Google map at lower right).
- Park on the left, just before the river (fishermen parking).
- Bike across the bridge and follow Fosset Gulch Road (CR 193) for 9.8 miles. Turn left at the fork in the road.
- At mile 10 pass through a metal forest service gate and continue straight.
- At mile 10.25 turn left onto USFS Trail 683, Little Bull Creek Trail.
- Have a downhill hoot for the next five miles.
- At mile 15.5 you reach Fosset Gulch Road.
- Turn right and return to your vehicle.