This route incorporates part of the 15-mile
"Best of Brockover" route
into the 11.4-mile "Power Line Trail Loop."
Note:Be aware that neither the Gate 5 trailhead nor the "Power Line Trail Loop" route has any directional signage. This is a local “social trail.” Go there with a Boy Scout mindset: be prepared with map, compass, GPS, extra clothing, cell phone, water and whatever else you’ll need to stay safe in the forest.
Directions to Gate 5 (see map at right):
Turn north off highway 160 onto North Pagosa Blvd. Drive 3.7 miles. Look to your left opposite Mockingbird Place to see the forest entry gate #5.
Note: You can also print these route instructions & a trail map from the "Power Line Trail Notes" PDF attachment at the bottom of this page.
1. Start at Gate 5. Reset your bike computer/GPS unit.
2. Follow the trail parallel to the fence (going west).
3. At mile .22 you come to a junction with a trail going left (Martinez Spur). Ignore this and continue straight on lower Newt Jack.
4. At mile .71 you come to a trail coming from your right (you can see the forest access gate off Coronado Circle to your right) AND a trail going to your left. Turn left onto this trail (Silk Thread Cutoff).
5. At mile .97 you intersect the Silk Thread Trail. Follow it going to your left.
6. At mile 1.7 there is a trail going to your right (Round Park Trail). Take it. (You have just crossed a rocky stream bed and climbed a short hill to the edge of a large meadow.)
7. At mile 2.3 you will be passing Round Park pond.
8. At mile 2.6 there is a trail going to your left (PBR East). Take it. (You have just reached the top of a hill.)
9. At mile 2.92 you intersect Lower Brockover Road. Turn left.
10. At mile 3.32 a double-track jeep trail goes to your right (Power Line Trail). Take this route, following the power line.
11. After about a mile, the double-track dead ends at a canyon. Take a short jog to the right (less than 100 yards) and look for a trail descending into the canyon. Follow this trail down the canyon bottom.
12. At mile 4.43 you break out into a wide meadow. Venture halfway into this meadow and you will intersect a trail (Lower Gopher Trail). Turn left.
13. Lower Gopher Trail will follow the valley bottom for a ways, then goes left over a small hill and follows a smaller drainage up and over a flat mesa.
14. At mile 6.15 you will have descended into another drainage area and will be winding your way through “The Maze.”
15. At mile 6.75 you arrive at a gate in the fence. Please close it behind you.
16. At mile 7.02 you intersect another trail (MBT). Turn right onto this trail. It will lead you to the scenic west rim of Martinez Canyon.
17. At mile 8.32 you will intersect a double track (lower Brockover/Power Line Rd). Turn right.
18. At mile 8.36 (you haven’t gone very far) you will see a single track going to your left across the lower end of a large meadow. Take it.
19. At mile 8.52 you will intersect another trail (you have crossed the lower end of the meadow). Turn right onto this trail (Martinez Spur).
20. At mile 8.87 you cross a creek. Follow the trail uphill to the right after crossing the creek.
21. At mile 8.96 you will see a trail going to your right (Boy Scout Trail). Take it. (You have just reached the mesa after a short climb.)
22. At mile 11.4 you will arrive back at Gate 5.
The map below shows the driving route from the Hwy 160 / N. Pagosa Blvd. intersections to the Gate 5 trailhead.
Note: You should be able to manipulate the Google map, below, to zoom in, click and drag, and see different terrain and satellite images.
Note: To download and print the map below (and/or the route instructions) see the attached PDF files at the bottom of this page.