This route incorporates part of the "Best of Brockover" route into a "short & sweet" 4.83 mile loop.
Note:Be aware that neither the Gate 5 trailhead nor the "Short & Sweet" route has any directional signage. This is a local “social trail.” Go there with a Boy Scout mindset: be prepared with map, compass, GPS, extra clothing, cell phone, water and whatever else you’ll need to stay safe in the forest.
Directions to Gate 5 (see map at right):
Turn north off highway 160 onto North Pagosa Blvd. Drive 3.7 miles. Look to
your left opposite Mockingbird Place to see the forest entry gate #5.
- Reset your GPS unit as you go through Gate 5.
- Within the first 100 yards, turn left, descend a short hill and cross the drainage. After you go up a short climb on the far side of the drainage, a trail that follows the Martinez Canyon rim should emerge.
- This trail is locally known as the “Boy Scout Trail” and is a wonderful and easily accessible trail to hike or run.
- At mile 1.7 you'll cross a small stream (seasonal).
- At mile 2.4 you will intersect another trail (Martinez Spur Trail). If you are directionally, this may be a good point to turn around and retrace your ride. For those seeking to explore further, turn left at this “Tee” junction and descend the hill.
- At the bottom of the hill you will hit a creek. Go straight along this “Creek Trail” with the creek on your left.
- At mile 2.95 you will cross a small drainage and intersect another trail (Silk Thread). Turn right at this “Tee” junction and follow the drainage.
- At mile 3.8 you will pass a frog pond on your right and will intersect an old jeep road (lower Newt Jack Road – FR 923). Turn right onto this road.
- At mile 4.83 you will arrive back at Gate 5 and your vehicle.
The map below shows the driving route from the Hwy 160 / N. Pagosa Blvd. intersections to the Gate 5 trailhead.
Note: You should be able to manipulate the Google map, below, to zoom in, click and drag, and see different terrain and satellite images.
Note: To download and print the map below (and/or the route) instructions see the attached PDF files at the bottom of this page.