The length of the basic loop is just under 15 miles (14.45 miles). Although there are a couple of short hills, your cumulative ascent over this distance is only 1210 feet.
Perhaps the easiest place to begin this loop is at the City Market Parking lot at the corner of U.S, Hwy 160 and N. Pagosa Blvd.
- The general instructions are to ride N. Pagosa Blvd. for 7 miles to its end.
- Turn right on Piedra Road for another 5.8 miles to its end.
- Turn right on Hwy 160 and return to your vehicle.
Most local riders do this loop clockwise.
You might seriously consider option 4, below, during the busier summer months when there is more traffic on Piedra Rd, including loaded gravel trucks.
There are several variations you can make on this loop (zoom in on the Google map to the right to visualize these options):
- Add Lake Forest Circle which loops off to the west of N. Pagosa Blvd at mile 0.8 (and will reconnect with N. Pagosa Blvd.).
- Turn right on Mission Drive at mile 3.2 to connect to Piedra Road and create a shorter loop.
- Turn right onto Hatcher Circle at mile 5.0 to add a hill climb and a scenic variation (Hatcher Circle will reconnect to N. Pagosa Blvd.).
- Ride N. Pagosa Blvd. to the end and return on the same route to avoid the higher traffic on Piedra Road and HWY 160.
Note: You should be able to manipulate the Google map, below, to zoom in, click and drag, and see different terrain and satellite images.